May 3-May 4 is Welcome Back Weekend at Indiana’s state parks and reservoirs! Veterans receive free admission on May 3, and all visitors enter for free on May 4. Admission to most state parks is ordinarily $5 per in-state vehicle.
Find your nearest state park or reservoir using this interactive map.
Indiana Department of Natural Resources has a lot of fun ways to connect with our natural heritage. Kids and families can participate in Hoosier Quest, which is designed to introduce young Hoosiers to the diversity of natural and cultural resources in the state parks. Upon completion, participants earn certificates and patches.
Geocaching is another popular outdoor activity. Find out more about geocaching safely and legally in Indiana state parks here.
The Indiana Recreation Guide lists special events happening all across the state, including 5K and adventure races, summer solstice celebrations, native plants sales, and family fall festivals.
Be sure to check out DNR’s monthly magazine Outdoor Indiana…subscribe or check it out at the library!
Want to share the downloadable book, magazine, audiobook and music fun?
1) Print and cut out the Cootie Catcher image.
2) Place with printed side up and fold in half crossways. Open the paper back up, and fold in half again in the opposite direction.
3) Flip the paper over so the blank side is up. Fold corners into center.
4) Turn over (printed side up), and fold corners into center again.
5) Turn over so the circles are on top. Slide your thumb and forefinger behind 2 tabs and gently press together so they meet. Repeat with the other side until all four points meet in the middle.
1) Choose a symbol and alternate directions opening the cootie catcher as you spell the word.
2) Choose which type of downloadable you’re interested in and lift the flap to find out how to access it!